From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 00:35:26
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > As someone who's done more electronics work than he ever should, any
3 > device that can suffer electrical damage simply by being plugged and
4 > unplugged from the thing it's supposed to be plugged into is a shoddy
5 > design and really should be in the bin. The only thing I ever found
6 > that was susceptible to this was ancient RS232 kit, and the cause was
7 > always inadequate shielding and isolation. In the last 10 years I only
8 > know of one product sold that has this problem and sadly that's the
9 > first run of the Raspberry Pi... You can safely plug and unplug VGA
10 > all day long and be hit by lightning more often than damage the
11 > monitor, repair techies have been doing it for years. VGA connectors
12 > are shrouded, you are virtually guaranteed an earth connection before
13 > any of the data pins make contact and you'll never have a situation
14 > where 25V is trying to shake hands with 5V (that was a major problem
15 > with RS232 stuff). Of course, there's no guarantee the picture will
16 > show on the screen if you hotplug VGA, but there's no inherent danger
17 > of damage either.
18
19 I have done that with monitors a few times, no problems but was
20 curious. I have had that problem with a PS/2 keyboard tho. That has
21 happened to me twice and I saw that with my own eyes. I have heard of
22 people who have had the same thing happen so I only swap my keyboard
23 when my rig is off. I don't want to build another rig. ;-)
24
25 New question about HDMI. I have a pretty nice video card that has a 15
26 pin connector and HDMI. Do I have to do anything special to use the
27 HDMI or does it just send the same signal to both connectors? I have my
28 monitor hooked to the 15 pin connector but would like to hook my TV to
29 the HDMI connector. Same signal on both is fine with me. I would just
30 rather watch movies and such on my TV instead of my monitor. I googled
31 a while back and just couldn't figure out how this works. It seems to
32 me that it works different based on how it is set up or something. My
33 card is Nvidia and it is a GT220 with 1Gb of ram. It was donated so no
34 links or anything.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!