From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] (dual) booting windows kills the ethernet device for linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:05:29
1 I feel strange writing this since I can hardly believe it.
2 However, it seems to be quite repeatable.
3
4 I have a new dell latitude E6500 that I set up for dual booting:
5 windows 7 and gentoo linux.
6
7 The machine seems to have two "hardware" states determined by whether
8 windows has been run since power on.
9
10 If you power the machine on it goes into what I call State A.
11 Now if I either select linux from grub or just use the default we get
12
13 linux boots and eth0 works
14 reboot
15 linux boots and eth0 works
16 ...
17 reboot
18 linux boots and eth0 works
19
20 but now reboot into windows and we get State B
21 windows boots and eth0 works
22 reboot to linux
23 linux boots but eth0 fails
24 reboot
25 linux boots but eth0 fails
26 ...
27 reboot
28 linux boots but eth0 fails.
29
30 If I then power the machine off instead of simply rebooting
31 we get back to State A
32
33 power on
34 linux boots and eth0 works
35 reboot
36 linux boots and eth0 works
37
38 etc.
39
40 This is quite repeatable. I would greatly appreciate an explanation.
41
42 thanks,
43 allan