From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strategies for testing an ebuild
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:11:39
1 On 2020.10.20 16:57, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, at 14:01, Anton wrote:
3 > > Hi there,
4 > >
5 > > I am taking on maintaining a package in gentoo-sci overlay. What are
6 > > good ways to test that my ebuild works before creating a pull
7 > request?
8 > >
9 > > I am thinking to install a Gentoo Prefix, snapshot its "vanilla"
10 > state,
11 > > and run `emerge $mypackage` in the vanilla Prefix as a test. Are
12 > there
13 > > better strategies?
14 >
15 > Generally, I just `sudo ebuild <path/to/software.ebuild> clean
16 > install merge'
17 > and test that it works directly on my system. I only proxy-maintain 1
18 > package,
19 > though, so others will probably have much better workflows.
20 >
21 > Alec
22
23 Using ebuild instead of emerge is probably not a sufficient test. It
24 does not check for dependencies, and I don't know what other subtle
25 differences there are. It's probably also good to run repoman on the
26 ebuild.
27
28 Jack