From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting a fixed nameserver for openvpn
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 10:30:06
1 On Sunday, 5 March 2023 18:41:10 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I use Surfshark and every once in a while, my VPN loses its connection.
5 > I sent the info from messages to Surfshark but the info they sent back
6 > on how to set the nameserver info doesn't really work with Gentoo. I
7 > suspect they are used to systemd stuff. Anyway, I tried to follow in a
8 > more Gentoo way but it still didn't work. Then I googled, searched the
9 > Gentoo wiki and tried some of those things, still refuses to use the
10 > manually entered nameserver. I've tried resolv.conf, resolvconf.conf
11 > and resolv.conf-tun0.sv. I installed openresolv to see if that would
12 > help. Nope.
13
14 AFAIR, you're meant to pull down from the openvpn server the DNS resolvers
15 you're meant to use with their service, unless you have your own reasons for
16 wanting to override these and set up your own DNS resolvers. Have you looked
17 in /etc/openvpn/ for a suitable setting in the configuration file? I'm sure
18 it will be set to automatically pull down the DNS resolvers and the Up script
19 will set these up for your system when you start openvpn.
22 > This is what I got from Surfshark:
23 > > I would recommend changing the DNS addresses on your Linux device. You
24 > > can simply do that by following the steps below.
25 > >
26 > > First, you need to open the terminal with the CTRL + ALT + T
27 > > combination and type in the following commands:
28 > > sudo rm -r /etc/resolv.conf
29 > > sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
30
31 Normally, you would not have to do this manually. The Up script will enter
32 the resolver IP addresses in your resolv.conf. If it doesn't, then check your
33 configuration and your openvpn script.