From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 22:06:50
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:37 on Friday 21 January 2011, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > > Last thing which remains is: Why does the help of the kernel says
6 > > to both AHCI-settings: "If unsure, say N"... ?
7 >
8 > I just built a rig with a Gigabyte mobo. Mine has setting like yours.
9 > I asked on here and was told that AHCI is the "new way" to do things.
10 > So, I set mine to that and it has worked fine.
11 >
12 > The only issue I did have is not being able to boot from a CD/DVD with
13 > it set to AHCI. No idea why that matters. My DVD drive is SATA too. I
14 > need to play with that more later on. See if it was that or something
15 > else that I missed. Thought I would mention that just in case you try
16 > to boot a CD or something and get a nasty error message or something.
17 > May want to file that in the back of your brain for future reference.
20 My notebook works like that too.
21
22 Hard disk works fine when everything is set to AHCI, but then the system won't
23 boot from CD. So I enabled the IDE driver and the IDE driver for CD-ROMs.
24
25 My take on this is that Dell had a vast stock of cheap-skate CD-ROM hardware
26 and used them up. The engineering logic would have been "it doesn't matter
27 that we use the slow interface for that device, it's still faster than we can
28 get the data off the media."
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com