From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fire the fox.
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:44:12
1 On 09/19/10 19:04, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Apparently, though unproven, at 07:45 on Sunday 19 September 2010, Lie
4 >> Ryan
5 >> did opine thusly:
8 >>> On 09/19/10 09:22, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>> On 18 September 2010 15:14, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
11 >>>>
12 >>>>> Is it just me? Or does Firefox get slower every release? And less
13 >>>>> stable.
14 >>>>>
15 >>>> Indeed. But FF4 is *much* faster. And much more stable. At least, that
16 >>>> was my experience when I tried it out. I had to go back to 3.6 because
17 >>>> some of the plugins that I need were not yet supported for FF4. At
18 >>>> least the later 3.6 releases aren't as unstable as the previous ones.
19 >>>>
20 >>> Firefox 4 indeed is smoother (probably due to the new animations,
21 >>> probably because none of the plugins I used are compatible yet, but
22 >>> maybe it is just faster); but it is definitely more memory hungrier than
23 >>> before. In Fx3, it usually took around ~20-25% of my 1GB RAM and that's
24 >>> with opening a bunch lot of pages; Fx4 generally takes around ~25-30%.
25 >>>
26 >>> While taking 30% of my RAM is fine when I'm not multitasking, the main
27 >>> problem is I am always multitasking. With Thunderbird taking another
28 >>> 15-20%, emerge ranging from 5-30%, and X about 5-10%, my computer is
29 >>> becoming unbearably slow when memory starved.
30 >>>
31 >>> I've been thinking about adding -Os (optimize-size) to my CFLAGS, does
32 >>> anyone knows if doing that will possibly bring down memory usage and
33 >>> speed up the computer?
34 >>>
35 >> No it will not.
36 >>
37 >> It's the size of the binary code image that is reduced, you may find
38 >> that the
39 >> firefox *code* in memory is smaller too. But it will do nothing for
40 >> the data
41 >> structures firefox creates to do it's job.
42 >>
43 >> Think of it this way:
44 >>
45 >> You have a MySQL instance taking up say 20MB in memory. You use it to
46 >> access a
47 >> 500G database so it uses a whopping amount of memory for the indexes. You
48 >> somehow optimize MySQL so that the code is now 19MB. What effect does
49 >> that
50 >> have on the 500G database? Answer: none whatsoever.
51 >>
52 >> And you conclusions about memory usage are wrong too. When free says
53 >> you have
54 >> 1G or RAM (this is true) and top says Thunderbird uses 150M and
55 >> Firefox 180M,
56 >> together they do not use 330M. Much of that memory is shared.
57 >>
58 >> top tells you "amount of memory that this process can access"
59 >> top does not tell you "amount of memory that this process owns and that
60 >> nothing else can access"
64 > Yep. I use Seamonkey which is browser and email all in one. It doesn't
65 > use much when I first start it up. The amount it accumulates as time
66 > goes on depends on the websites I go to. If I go to sites that have a
67 > lot of flash, pictures and gifs, then it starts to using a lot more
68 > memory. If I go to say the gentoo forums which is mostly text, it
69 > doesn't change much.
70
71 When I'm doing emerge or other things, I usually switches to Epiphany,
72 dillo, or links; depending on how unbearable things becomes.
73
74 > Just like the example Alan gave, it's not the program itself that is
75 > using the memory, it's what you are doing with it that uses memory. I
76 > have found that the weather radar site and youtube are the biggest
77 > memory hogs.
78
79 I'm opening mostly standard HTML pages (gmail, static pages, etc) and
80 the memory usage is still quite bad.
81
82 > This is my Seamonkey with email also open and I have only visited a
83 > couple forums sites:
84 >
85 > 7493 dale 20 0 253m 133m 28m S 0.7 6.6 1:59.65 seamonkey-bin
86
87 Incidentally, I've found that browsing using Thunderbrowse extension in
88 Thunderbird is much more memory friendly than using Firefox itself
89 (Thunderbird still uses around 15-20% memory, compared to 20-30% that
90 Firefox uses). If only Thunderbrowse's interface is not so buggy...