From: "John H. Moe" <johnmoe@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot edit files on usb flash drive.
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:22:18
1 On 08/03/10 16:46, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 08 March 2010 08:31:40 ubiquitous1980 wrote:
3 >> I have a usb flash drive which will not allow me to edit its files. I
4 >> have tried chmod a+rwx -R $files but this does still not permit
5 >> editing. Further, the files within the directories refuse to have
6 >> ownership changed via chown $myusername -R /mnt/disk. Output is:
7 >> operation not permitted. Any ideas? Thanks.
8 >
9 > This happens when the flash drive is type vfat. This excuse for a file system
10 > does not have a concept of owners and permissions so the kernel has to fudge
11 > it. You are finding that you cannot change these for the simple reason that
12 > they do not exist and the kernel is pretending they are owned by root with
13 > MODE 755 or some such.
14 >
15 > If hal is mounting the device, check your hal config, looking for some likely
16 > named option.
17 >
18 > If the device is mounted via /etc/fstab, adjust the uid/gid/umask/dmask/fmask
19 > options to mount in column 4. Full details in the man page, under section
20 > "fat"
23 I use both a USB memory stick with VFAT, and a USB hard drive with
24 NTFS. Both work fine, but I *am* mounting both as my user account using
25 /etc/fstab. Entries are as follows:
26
27 LABEL="USBSTICK" /media/usbstick auto user,noauto 0 0
28 LABEL="USBstorage" /media/usbstorage ntfs-3g user,noauto 0 0
29
30 Then I just type "mount /media/usbstick" and use it as normal.
31
32 John Moe