From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 22:46:51
1 On 19/07/13 06:23, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM, luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy> wrote:
5 >> hello list,
6 >
7 > Hi!
8 >
9 >> i want to migrate my system, currently in a HD, to a new SSD. i thought it
10 >> would be easy, but i decided to read a little before partitioning the disk
11 >> (my first SDD) and now i'm really confused...
12 >>
13 >> i intend to have only two partitions in the SSD: one for / and the other
14 >> for /home. i have another HD for storage, where i'm going to put swap.
15 >
16 > Sounds like a good plan. I used the same strategy here.
17 >
18 >> apparently it's better to use a GPT partitioning. are there any catches i
19 >> should take into account? what about grub, can i just install it later on
20 >> the ssd?
21 >
22 > GPT is not required, if you use MBR it should work just as well. If
23 > you use GPT you must enable GUID partition table support in your
24 > kernel and ensure your boot loader supports it.
25 >
26 >> thanks for any comment or pointers, i found so many different "guides"
27 >> saying different things that i'm really confused.
28 >
29 > Here are the basic steps I used for doing the same thing:
30 >
31 > 1. partition SSD (start sector at a multiple of 1MB to ensure proper alignment)
32 > 2. format new partitions using discard-capable filesystem like ext4, xfs, btrfs
33 > 3. mount them in a temporary mount point
34 > 4. rsync your filesystem from old drive to new drive
35 > 5. edit /etc/fstab on the new drive to use the new mount points
36 > 6. edit boot loader config to point to correct drive
37 > 7. install boot loader on new drive if it becomes your new boot device
38 > 8. (optionally) swap drive cables so the new drive shows up first if
39 > it is your new boot device
40 >
41 > Depending on whether you use UUID, labels, or device names you may not
42 > need to change names or swap cables in your computer so drives show up
43 > in the correct order.
44 >
45 > Good luck :)
48 Apple laptop (ssd only) - boot, swap and /. btrfs, very fast and stable
49 but only gets light use.
50
51 Storage server for data and VM's with an (intel) ssd for boot, swap and
52 OS with data on WD 2G green drives (ceph cluster). btrfs was a
53 disaster, etx4 is holding up ok but being an ssd I cant use reiserfs
54 which is my first choice, particularly where a filesystem gets hammered.
55 I tried a number of configurations and the ceph journals are a lot
56 faster on ssd, and swap on ssd is also a big speedup (including
57 hibernate/resume). Been running for few months now.
58
59 With the apple I dont get a choice where to put swap (which even with 8G
60 ram gets used) but tests between the server ssd and a 10000rpm spinner
61 sees the ssd win hands down most of the time. The ceph journals are
62 definitely slower on spinner ... but did seem less prone to disaster.
63
64 My main point is ssd's are fast, but make sure you have good backups if
65 you are stressing them :)
66
67 BillK