From: Steve <gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Insane load on gentoo server - possibly clamassassin related?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:44:56
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Looks like you have 200 processes sitting there blocking I/O. Is there
3 > anything related in the logs?
4 >
5 Not sure - as I'm not sure where to look, or what to look for.
6 > Your best bet is to examine emerge.log (better still - genlop) and find all
7 > recent upgrades that might affect this. Then roll them back one by one till
8 > the problem goes away. Once you know the errant package, we can start to
9 > examine diffs and see why it might behave like that.
10 >
11 The only relevant package seems to be clamav... my emerge.log shows that
12 I upgraded 8 packages yesterday just before 5pm - and the second of
13 these was app-antivirus/clamav-0.95.2 - I think I simply chose to use
14 the new configurations after issuing a dispatch-config... I didn't do
15 anything 'adventurous'.
16
17 Perhaps this might be something to do with a long-forgotten hack for
18 clamassassin to work with clamd that might have been overwritten...
19 (changing CLAMSCAN=/usr/bin/clamscan to CLAMSCAN=/usr/bin/clamdscan in
20 /usr/bin/clamassassin) but this seems odd - since the date on
21 clamassassin is 7 September 2008... and this problem with my server is
22 very recent - it was working fine yesterday... and clamassassin hasn't
23 been re-installed since everything worked fine - only clamav was emerged.
24
25 As an interim hack, I've removed /usr/bin/clamassassin from my global
26 procmailrc; stopped spamd; killed all the procmail and clamscan
27 processes - and restarted postfix. This has left me with an operational
28 server with which I can interact. It would seem very strange if I'm the
29 only person having trouble with clamscan... in the context of what (I
30 think) is a fairly standard postfix install.