From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] power button to shutdown for openrc? [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:23:14
1 I'm not seeing how doing an fsck from a live cd helps.
4 On 11/17/19 11:50, Mick wrote:
5 > On Sunday, 17 November 2019 10:30:49 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 >> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:21:18 +0100, n952162 wrote:
7 >>> (in fact, that's exactly the situation that I've been confronted with
8 >>> and have turned to this mailing list to help me with: X locked up, my
9 >>> power-button was unresponsive so I had to force it down (holding the
10 >>> power key down for 30 seconds), and on reboot TWO filesystems had to be
11 >>> rebuilt by fsck, with substantial loss of organization and of data
12 >>> (despite both being ext3/4 journaling filesystems - I just don't
13 >>> understand that!) )
14 > As has been mentioned before holding the power button down until the system
15 > powers off is equal to a hard shutdown. No write caches are flushed, no data
16 > is synced to disk and any writes could be left in mid air resulting in a
17 > messed up fs. I always boot with a LiveUSB/CD and perform a fsck without
18 > mounting any drives, before I will try to boot the system normally again.
19 >
20 > If you lose power while the system is idle and no write operations are in
21 > process/waiting, then you may well have no loss of data as a result.
24 >> Please don't top-post on this list.
25 >>
26 >> Magic SysReq would probably have helped in those situations. ext3/4 only
27 >> journal metadata by default, you can specify a mount option to also
28 >> journal data but it impacts performance.
29 > When X hangs and I lose the keyboard to the extent where neither Ctrl+Alt+F1,
30 > or Ctrl+Alt+Del would work, I will use ssh to connect remotely and stop the
31 > hanging process or restat the X server. If ssh is also not working, I use the
32 > magic SysReq sequence to stop processes, sync the disks and reboot, or
33 > shutdown. I don't recall losing data in such cases, although when I have time
34 > I run fsck with Live media just in case.