From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -pv mplayer questions
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:32:06
1 On 9/16/05, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Differs from both of yours again. Here's my
5 > > package.use for the machine:
6 > >
7 > > dragonfly ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.use
8 >
9 > no such file on my machine. Did I miss something?
10
11 No. I think you just haven't created it. Try making one and see how it works.
14 > > media-video/ffmpeg aac
15 > > media-video/avidemux aac
16 > > app-cdr/cdrtools unicode
17 > > media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit debug -caps
18 > > media-video/mplayer win32codecs
19 > > x11-misc/xscreensaver new-login
20 > > dragonfly ~ #
21 > >
22 > > and from make.conf:
23 > >
24 > > dragonfly ~ # cat /etc/make.conf | grep USE
25 > > USE="userlocales gnome kde gtk gtk2 -arts -apm
26 > > ladspa nptl nptlonly
27 > > ladcca audiofile gimp gimpprint ppds usb alsa cdr
28 > > dvd dvdr dvdread mmx
29 > > sse sse2 caps jack jack-tmpfs fluidsynth tcltk
30 > > sndfile v4l v4l2
31 > > firebird mysql flac xscreensaver samba i8x0 mythtv
32 > > apache2 lirc mjpeg
33 > > threads xvid transcode"
34 > > dragonfly ~ #
35 >
36 > This is all I got:
37 > USE="java alsa esd mad mp3 ogg oss vorbis xmms"
38
39 You also have your 'profile'.
40
41 cat /etc/make.profile/make.defaults
42
43 This will show you the default flags your system is using. To that you
44 add make.conf and any package.use flags to get what the system will
45 use for your package.
48 > Assembling these flags has been hit or miss. Something
49 > I read in a forum somewhere or just a guess. It
50 > certainly doesn't represent all the software I've
51 > emerged since setting up this system about 4 months
52 > ago. Is there some sort of tried and true method of
53 > determining what USE flags to use.
54
55 Not that I know of. USE flags seem sort of like a personal preference
56 thing. There isn't any single place to go to see what the alsa flag
57 does on a specific package. you either read the ebuild, which is WAY
58 beyond my skill set, or ask here. Doing
59
60 emerge -pv package
61
62 and looking carefully at the flags, as you are, is a good first step.
63 >From there I just let my imagination drive things and see how it works
64 out. Most of the time it's OK, but sometimes I've had to recompile
65 packages 2, 3 or even 4 times to get features I'm interested in.
66
67 Cheers,
68 Mark
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list