From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone succeeded with kmail2?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 10:39:34
1 On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 09:43 +0000
2 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Hello list,
5 >
6 > When kmail was upgraded to 4.9.3 last month it made a complete hash
7 > of my e- mail system. In the end I moved my user out of the way and
8 > created a new user. Importing the e-mails from a backup of the old
9 > version omitted large numbers of e-mails, including a lot of complete
10 > folders. I also noticed that kmail had not created a trash folder.
11
12 So the kdepim devs STILL haven't fixed that one? Oh dear.
13
14 tldr; longish post. Short version: Use something else. It's mail, not
15 software magic.
16
17 I ran into something much the same long ago with kamil2
18 around the 4.3 or 4.5 era. Imports wouldn't work, akonadi was displaying
19 essentially random mails in random folders in no special order, and I
20 was losing mail.
21
22 Eventually, after much physical and spiritual pain, I figured that what
23 was really happening was probably akonadi importing the mail to
24 $SOMEWHERE and $AT_SOME_RANDOM_TIME would index it properly; it would
25 do this on the basis off $WHEN_IT_FELT_RIGHT_TO_DO_IT.
26
27 This trick works awesomely well for caching thumbnails of my video
28 collection for xbmc. It works less well for my mail. It's disastrous
29 when the whole process is not documented, when the user has no
30 visibility into it and no defined way of seeing what's going on, not
31 even a progress meter. The traditional way of handling such
32 asynchronous indexing problems is to provide an option where the user
33 can force a re-index and the system will just chug along doing it
34 displaying progress. If the mail app suspends itself while doing this,
35 well that's fine, at least it ends in a reasonable time. But, kdepim at
36 that stage had no such option.
37
38 One other thing I discovered back then: if I killed akonadi & kdepim
39 and rebooted out of sheer frustration, it would *throw* *away* all it's
40 temporary files form $SOMEWHERE as above and corrupt it's own database.
41 Leading to lost mail. If you just leave the damn thing alone for ages
42 and ages it eventually sorts itself out, but you can't see how far
43 along it is.
44
45 Such shoddy alpha-quality software shipped and billed as enterprise
46 production-ready was more than I could bear, so I just switched mail
47 client to claws-mail.
48
49 On 4.9.3 you are still experiencing something similar. Hmmm. Indicates
50 to me a high probability of a systemic problem with the projects
51 approach, something that is unlikely to ever get really fixed. In my
52 opinion kdepim2 is vastly over-engineered and an attempt to solve a
53 problem that does not actually exist. I recommend you use a different
54 mail app.
55
56 As I mentioned in the tldr, it's a mail app. There are many mail apps
57 and none are super-special.
63 > So I did it again: created another new user. This time I got more
64 > messages imported but still not the whole lot (about 25,000). Still
65 > no trash. So I imported specific folders to complete the import. I
66 > tried creating a Wastebin folder manually (that's what the trash can
67 > is called in the UK) but of course that had no effect.
68 >
69 > Now I find that several filters work sometimes but not others, thus
70 > dropping e.g. this list partly into its own folder and partly into
71 > the general inbox. If I move the offending messages myself, next time
72 > I look they've been moved back again.
73 >
74 > If I delete a message, there being no trash folder, it's re-presented
75 > as a new message together with the original, and if I delete those I
76 > get four. Now in one folder I have 120 "new" messages.
77 >
78 > Is there a sane way out of this? I don't know if I can face creating
79 > yet another new user with all the drudgery that entails.
85 Alan McKinnon
86 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com