From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 22:48:02
1 On Thu, 27 Aug 2015, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2
3 > I use GRUB2 because my efi firmware (like most) is really buggy.
4 > Changing the boot order doesn't work at all (neither on the menu nor
5 > through efibootmgr), so I have to delete and recreate the entries in the
6 > right order. What I did is create 2 efi entries, one for my main kernel
7 > and one for grub2 and I added entries for all my secondary kernels and
8 > windows on the grub2 menu.
9
10 I have a similar setup: an efi entry for my kernel and gummiboot instead
11 of grub2.
12
13 I would use the firmware boot selector for multibooting, but going there
14 lengthens the boot by around 10 seconds (Lenovo notebook) which is too
15 much for my liking. So instead I by default boot into gummiboot and from
16 there I choose my kernel, separate grub2's from Fedora and Ubuntu, or
17 FreeBSD. Everything is nice and fast that way.
18
19 Fedora and Ubuntu manage their own grub configs on kernel updates and I
20 don't have to mess with any boot loader configs myself.