From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:03:32
1 On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:30:19 +0200 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > It comes from watching what happens at the end of running emerge, don't
3 > read any more into it than that. Especially not optimism, I think you
4 > might be projecting your own frustrations.
5 >
6 > A couple of years ago I used to have to manually resolve blockers about
7 > one world update in two. It started becoming a huge PITA especially as
8 > the deps are usually easy to solve - if I can look at the screen for a
9 > few seconds and figure it out, then software can do the same in
10 > milliseconds. Recent portages now do this properly when viewed from a
11 > results-only perspective.
12 >
13 > On my machines, that is what I see happening. That is the ONLY set of
14 > FACTS I have to work on; you may have more.
15 >
16 > I'm willing to give up 4 minutes while emerge runs so I don't have to
17 > spend many more minutes right afterwards doing manually the very shit
18 > that software is very good at. Whether portage is a complete pile of
19 > dogshit software or not is beside the point. Even if it is, my 4 minutes
20 > still buys me lots <shrug>
21
22 4 minutes are expendable but... on Atom N270 (my laptop) emerge
23 -DNuav world takes 40 (yes, forty) minutes to build dependency tree
24 with sqlite cache enabled and 60 minutes without sqlite. System was
25 pretty old (not updated aside from GLSA updates for a year). And this
26 40 minutes repeated many times since USE flag clashes and dependency
27 resolution failures. So I spent may day, damn whole day(!) for the
28 sake to just start compiling (distcc is my friend here).
29
30 Best regards,
31 Andrew Savchenko