From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gcc 5.3
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 10:44:18
1 Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 17:32:44 lee wrote:
4 >> Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 >> > On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:21:01 +0100, lee wrote:
6
7 > [...]
8 >> >> So if I'd never explicitly update everything but run emerge --sync
9 >> >> frequently, things would be updated over time, occasionally?
10 >> >
11 >> > No, nothing would get updated. To do that you need to run emerge @world
12 >> > after emerge --sync.
13 >>
14 >> Well, yes, but what if want to install a package that hasn't been
15 >> installed yet, or re-emerge an installed package with different USE
16 >> flags, after updating the portage tree? Will a more recent version be
17 >> installed than would have been installed before the tree was updated,
18 >> maybe updating other packages to more recent versions because they are
19 >> needed for the new package?
22 > You have a couple of options.
23 >
24 > First, start with "emerge -p whatever" and see what update would happen with
25 > no adjustments.
26 >
27 > Then try again, but specify the version you want and see if that works:
28 > "emerge -p =whatever-1.2.3"
29 >
30 > If it is still trying to install updated versions of libraries or other
31 > dependencies, make a file like /etc/portage/package.mask/whatever and block
32 > anything higher than the library/dependency versions you already have.
33 >
34 > A bit more work, but probably not much.
35 >
36 > However, if you get too far behind, the versions you want may have been
37 > removed from the portage tree. This is still not a deal breaker. Old ebuilds
38 > are available from the Gentoo attic at https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi and can be installed in a local overlay. (I put mine in
39 > /usr/local/portage). Just put "PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage" into
40 > /etc/portage/make/conf and you should be set.
41 >
42 > You could also use the local overlay to just add the updated ebuilds for
43 > things you do want to upgrade (and required dependency upgrades, etc) but I
44 > think that would quickly become very unwieldy.
45
46 Thank you for the explanation.
47
48 I've installed gcc 5.2.0 and am running into trouble when trying to
49 compile the test application. That just won't work.
50
51 It also runs out of memory too easily.
52
53 OTOH, I've compiled a kernel with it (unless the compilation somehow
54 picks a different version automatically), and it works fine.
55
56 >> > Exactly, run gcc-config, compile/emerge the program, run gcc-config again.
57 >>
58 >> And what about ccache? Will it use the new version automatically and
59 >> detect that the compiler version has changed so that files in the cache
60 >> need to be recompiled?
61
62 To answer my own question: That also works without any further ado.