From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: File system testing
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:41:58
1 J. Roeleveld <joost <at> antarean.org> writes:
4 > Out of curiosity, what do you want to simulate?
5
6 subsurface flows in porous medium. AKA carbon sequestration
7 by injection wells. You know, provide proof that those
8 that remove hydrocarbons and actuall put the CO2 back
9 and significantly mitigate the effects of their ventures.
10
11 It's like this. I have been stuggling with my 17 year old "genius"
12 son who is a year away from entering medical school, with
13 learning responsibility. So I got him a hyperactive, highly
14 intelligent (mix-doberman) puppy to nurture, raise, train, love
15 and be resonsible for. It's one genious pup, teaching another
16 pup about being responsible.
17
18 So goes the earl_bidness.......imho.
23 > > Many folks are recommending to skip Hadoop/HDFS all together
24
25 > I agree, Hadoop/HDFS is for data analysis. Like building a profile
26 > about people based on the information companies like Facebook,
27 > Google, NSA, Walmart, Governments, Banks,.... collect about their
28 > customers/users/citizens/slaves/....
29
30 > > and go straight to mesos/spark. RDD (in-memory) cluster
31 > > calculations are at the heart of my needs. The opposite end of the
32 > > spectrum, loads of small files and small apps; I dunno about, but, I'm all
33 > > ears.
34 > > In the end, my (3) node scientific cluster will morph and support
35 > > the typical myriad of networked applications, but I can take
36 > > a few years to figure that out, or just copy what smart guys like
37 > > you and joost do.....
38 >
39 > Nope, I'm simply following what you do and provide suggestions where I can.
40 > Most of the clusters and distributed computing stuff I do is based on
41 > adding machines to distribute the load. But the mechanisms for these are >
42 implemented in the applications I work with, not what I design underneath.
43
44 > The filesystems I am interested in are different to the ones you want.
45
46 Maybe. I do not know what I want yet. My vision is very light weight
47 workstations running lxqt (small memory footprint) or such, and a bad_arse
48 cluster for the heavy lifting running on whatever heterogenous resoruces I
49 have. From what I've read, the cluster and the file systems are all
50 redundant that the cluster level (mesos/spark anyway) regardless of one any
51 give processor/system is doing. All of Alans fantasies (needs) can be
52 realized once the cluster stuff is master. (chronos, ansible etc etc).
53
54 > I need to provided access to software installation files to a VM server
55 > and access to documentation which is created by the users. The
56 > VM server is physically next to what I already mentioned as server A.
57 > Access to the VM from the remote site will be using remote desktop
58 > connections. But to allow faster and easier access to the
59 > documentation, I need a server B at the remote site which functions as
60 > described. AFS might be suitable, but I need to be able to layer Samba
61 > on top of that to allow a seamless operation.
62 > I don't want the laptops to have their own cache and then having to
63 > figure out how to solve the multiple different changes to documents
64 > containing layouts. (MS Word and OpenDocument files).
65
66 Ok so your customers (hperactive problem users) inteface to your cluster
67 to do their work. When finished you write things out to other servers
68 with all of the VM servers. Lots of really cool tools are emerging
69 in the cluster space.
70
71 I think these folks have mesos + spark + samba + nfs all in one box. [1]
72 Build rather than purchase? WE have to figure out what you and Alan need, on
73 a cluster, because it is what most folks need/want. It the admin_advantage
74 part of cluster. (There also the Big Science (me) and Web centric needs.
75 Right now they are realted project, but things will coalesce, imho. There is
76 even "Spark_sql" for postgres admins [2].
77
78 [1]
79 http://www.quantaqct.com/en/01_product/02_detail.php?mid=29&sid=162&id=163&qs=102
80
81 [2] https://spark.apache.org/sql/
84 > > > We use Lustre for our high performance general storage. I don't
85 > > > have any numbers, but I'm pretty sure it is *really* fast (10Gbit/s
86 > > > over IB sounds familiar, but don't quote me on that).
87 > >
88 > > AT Umich, you guys should test the FhGFS/btrfs combo. The folks
89 > > at UCI swear about it, although they are only publishing a wee bit.
90 > > (you know, water cooler gossip)...... Surely the Wolverines do not
91 > > want those californians getting up on them?
92
93 > > Are you guys planning a mesos/spark test?
94
95 > > > > Personally, I would read up on these and see how they work. Then,
96 > > > > based on that, decide if they are likely to assist in the specific
97 > > > > situation you are interested in.
98
99 > > It's a ton of reading. It's not apples-to-apple_cider type of reading.
100 > > My head hurts.....
101
102 > Take a walk outside. Clear air should help you with the headaches :P
103
104 Basketball, Boobs and Burbon use to work quite well. Now it's mostly
105 basketball, but I'm working on someone "very cute"......
106
107 > > I'm leaning to DFS/LFS
108 > > (2) Luster/btrfs and FhGFS/btrfs
109
110 > I have insufficient knowledge to advise on either of these.
111 > One question, why BTRFS instead of ZFS?
112
113 I think btrfs has tremendous potential. I tried ZFS a few times,
114 but the installs are not part of gentoo, so they got borked
115 uEFI, grubs to uuids, etc etc also were in the mix. That was almost
116 a year ago. For what ever reason the clustering folks I have
117 read and communicated with are using ext4, xfs and btrfs. Prolly
118 mostly because those are mostly used in their (systemd) inspired)
119 distros....?
122 > My current understanding is: - ZFS is production ready, but due to
123 > licensing issues, not included in the kernel - BTRFS is included, but
124 > not yet production ready with all planned features.
125
126 Yep. the license issue with ZFS is a real killer for me. Besides,
127 as an old state-machine, C hack, anything with B-tree is fabulous.
128 Prejudices? Yep, but here, I'm sticking with my gut. Multi port
129 ram can do mavelous things with Btree data structures. The
130 rest will become available/stable. Simply, I just trust btrfs, in
131 my gut.
134 > For me, Raid6-like functionality is an absolute requirement and latest I >
135 know is that that isn't implemented in BTRFS yet. Does anyone know when
136 > that will be implemented and reliable? Eg. what time-frame are we
137 > talking about?
140 Now we are "communicating"! We have different visions. I want cheap,
141 mirrored HD on small numbers of processors (less than 16 for now).
142 I want max ram of the hightest performance possilbe. I want my reduncancy
143 in my cluster with my cluster software deciding when/where/how-often
144 to write out to HD. If the max_ram is not enought, then SSD will
145 be between the ram and HD. Also, know this. The GPU will be assimilated
146 into the processors, just like the FPUs were, some decade ago. Remember
147 the i386 and the i387 math coprocessor chip? The good folks at opengl,
148 gcc (GNU) and others will soon (eventually?) give us compilers to
149 automagically use the gpu (and all of that blazingly fast ram therein,
150 as slave to Alan admin authority (some bullship like that).
153 So, my "Epiphany" is this. The bitches at systemd are to renamed
154 "StripperD", as they will manage the boot cycle (how fast you can
155 go down (save power) and come back up (online). The Cluster
156 will rule off of your hardware, like a "Sheilk" "the ring that rules
157 them all" be the driver of the gabage collect processes. The cluster
158 will be like the "knights of the round table"; each node helping, and
159 standing for those other nodes (nobles) that stumble, always with
160 extra resources, triple/quad redundancy and solving problems
161 before that kernel based "piece of" has a chance to anything
162 other than "go down" or "Come up" online.
163
164 We shall see just who the master is of my hardawre!
165 The sadest thing for me is that when I extolled about billion
166 dollar companies corrupting the kernel development process, I did
167 not even have those {hat wearing loosers} in mind. They are
168 irrelevant. I was thinking about those semiconductor companies.
169 You know the ones that accept billions of dollars for the NSA
170 and private spoofs to embed hardware inside of hardware. The ones
171 that can use "white noise" as a communications channel. The ones
172 that can tap a fiber optic cable, with penetration. Those are
173 the ones to focus on. Not a bunch of "silly boyz"......
174
175 My new K_main{} has highlighted a path to neuter systemd.
176 But I do like how StripperD moves up and down, very quickly.
177
178 Cool huh?
179 It's PARTY TIME!
180