From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags handling
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:33:41
1 Am Dienstag, 29. Juli 2014, 19:04:04 schrieb behrouz khosravi:
2 >
3 > Now I am thinking about managing USE flags.
4 > What if I disable everything in the make.conf ( I mean USE="-*" ) and
5 > gradually add the needed flags to package.use?
6
7 The default profile is what you need.
8
9 Please don't do USE="-*". It breaks things.
10
11 * Long ago, setting a useflag always meant "adding things to the default". For
12 some years now, we have use-defaults, which means an ebuild can set whether a
13 use flag set not by profile and not by user is on or off. If you add "-*" to
14 your use flags, you turn all default-on useflags off too (which means you may
15 switch away from upstream defaults a lot).
16 An example where this may lead to trouble: you end up with sys-devel/gcc[-
17 cxx], i.e. a compiler that cannot translate C++.
18
19 * The dependencies on specific Python or Ruby versions are controlled via
20 useflags. Basically, if Python package X needs Python package Y, both have to
21 be installed for the same Python variant for things to work. If you disable
22 all useflags via "-*", you basically disable support for all variants. Bang.
23
24 * Similar for multilib installations.
30 Andreas K. Huettel
31 Gentoo Linux developer
32 dilfridge@g.o
33 http://www.akhuettel.de/