From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to compress lots of tarballs
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 08:27:13
1 On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 18:43:06 BST Laurence Perkins wrote:
2
3 > There are also backup tools which will handle the compression step for you.
4 >
5 > app-backup/duplicity uses a similar tar file and index system with periodic
6 > full and then incremental chains. Plus it keeps a condensed list of file
7 > hashes from previous runs so it doesn't have to re-read the entire archive
8 > to determine what changed the way rsync does.
9 >
10 > app-backup/borgbackup is more complex, but is very, very good at
11 > deduplicating file data, which saves even more space. Furthermore, it can
12 > store backups for multiple systems and deduplicate between them, so if you
13 > have any other machines you can have backups there as well, potentially at
14 > negligble space cost if you have a lot of redundancy.
15
16 Thanks Laurence. I've looked at borg before, wondering whether I needed a
17 more sophisticated tool than just tar, but it looked like too much work for
18 little gain. I didn't know about duplicity, but I'm used to my weekly routine
19 and it seems reliable, so I'll stick with it pro tem. I've been keeping a
20 daily KMail archive since the bad old days, and five weekly backups of the
21 whole system, together with 12 monthly backups and, recently an annual
22 backup. That last may be overkill, I dare say.
25 Regards,
26 Peter.