From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} wput with weird characters
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 12:21:59
1 Hello
2
3 On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 03:45:54AM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > Grant writes:
5 >
6 > > > > wput -A file.txt ftp://username:abc\!123\&@ftp.example.com/file.txt
7 > > >
8 > > > Did you try using ' around the whole argument? Like
9 > > >
10 > > > wput -A ... 'ftp://....txt'?
11 > >
12 > > That did it. Thanks everyone!
13 >
14 > Hmm... there really should be no difference whether you put the whole string
15 > between single quotes or just escape the ! and &. For the application you
16 > start it is not even possible to see which notation you used.
17
18 Sure, but I never know which char I need to escape and which I don't.
19 This way I do not care - less space to escape it in bad way.
22 You can't have everything... where would you put it?
23 -- Steven Wright
24
25 Michal 'vorner' Vaner