From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Project:Installer
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 17:26:09
1 From [1] we have Project:Installer [2] which looks very interesting.
2 However, If I were to create a new gentoo installer, I think
3 I'd leverage ansible and the persistence mode (usb stick) code that
4 LikeWhoa put together, as a basis for the effort. I'd be most
5 curious to read other folk's ideas (strategies) to create a more
6 automated installation semantic for installing gentoo systems. The handbook
7 is fine; in fact it is great. But, many gentoo users that have performed
8 more than a dozen gentoo installs sooner or later get around to their own
9 installations customizations for a wide variety of valid reasons.
12 Ansible would lend itself to expanded and very targeted types of system
13 installs where an accomplished gentoo user could supplement the base install
14 with a collection of specific packages and config settings; imho. Say for
15 example a secure web or mail server, not that it would be the only
16 way to build such a server, but just one specific method a particular author
17 wanted to (share) publish. Surely there are other and better ideas that
18 folks have used or that they are currently contemplating for routine gentoo
19 installs?
22 Maybe some discussion herein could help shape the efforts of [2,3]?
25 Naturally, we should remember Release Engineering and their role
26 as pivotal [3]. [1 and 2] are interesting to read.
29 James
30
31 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo
32