From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble with backup harddisks
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 02:03:16
1 On 05/01 05:32, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 1 May 2020 17:00:56 BST Andrea Conti wrote:
3 >
4 > > GPT is fine too, but for a 1TB disk with a single partition it has absolutely
5 > > zero advantage over MBR.
6 >
7 > I can think of one or two people who might demur there.
8 >
9 > --
10 > Regards,
11 > Peter.
17 Hi Wolf, hi Andrea, hi Peter,
18
19 *Partition type '83':
20 I changed the type to 83 using fdisk and this worked fine. Now
21 /dev/sdb1 is recognized again.
22 Just to confirm this...
23 I think, I feel better if I repartitioning/reformat both drives,
24 though.
25
26 *GPT/MBR
27 From a discussion based on a "GPT or MBR for my system drive" in
28 conjunction with UEFI it was said, that GPT is more modern and
29 save.
30 My question was meant not so much as "MBR or GPT?"
31 but more whether there are some variants of GPT (with
32 protected MBR for example -- which was completly new to me),
33 which I should use or avoid.
34
35 But: Are rescue systems for USB-stick more UEFI/GPT aware nowadays
36 or "traditionally" based on MBR/BIOS-boot?
37
38 One thing I found is really handy: An USB-stick with an rEfind
39 installation. As long as your PC supports UEFI (or can switched to it)
40 rEfind is able to boot "everything" without prior configuration.
41
42 Some rescue-system which really shines and with which you have made good
43 experiences?
44
45 Cheers!
46 Meino