From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 07:26:07
1 Depending on your available ram and swap space, you might want to mount
2 /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs. My fstab entry shows
3
4 none /var/tmp/portage tmpfs size=10g,nr_inodes=1m
5
6 I have 4GB ram, and the speed benefit especially for open/libre-office is quite
7 impressive.
8
9 The advantage is, that it
10 a) uses only as much of memory as is really used
11 b) you may use mount option -remount to increase the size of the filesystem,
12 and add proper swapfiles if you see that you're running out of space (mkswap,
13 swapon)
14
15 Greetings,
16 Alex