From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg server and monitor power management
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:39:59
1 Hi,
2
3 I upgraded to the modular xorg a while back and have noticed this little
4 problem. I have this in my xorg.conf file to cut off the monitor when I
5 am at the login screen.
6
7 > Option "dpms"
8 > Option "standby time" "5"
9 > Option "suspend time" "10"
10 > Option "off time" "10"
11
12 However this is what xorg.0.log says about it.
13
14 > (**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
15 > (II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
16 > (WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "standby time" is not used
17 > (WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "suspend time" is not used
18 > (WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "off time" is not used
19
20 This is what xset says about it:
21
22 > DPMS (Energy Star):
23 > Standby: 2400 Suspend: 2400 Off: 2400
24 > DPMS is Enabled
25 > Monitor is On
26
27 I have this in rc.conf so I use kdm for my login thingy.
28
29 > # What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | entrance ]
30 > DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
31
32 I logged out and did a cntrl alt bcksp to make sure it reloaded the new
33 config but it still ignores my setting. I use KDE and have different
34 setting for power management in it. I want it to stay on longer when I
35 am logged in but not when I am logged out.
36
37 Can someone tell me the new way or point me somewhere?? This is weird.
38 I searched the forums and found people complaining that theirs cut off
39 and they wanted it to stay on and I am having just the opposite
40 problem. I can't get mine to turn off right.
41
42 Thanks
43
44 Dale