From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vm still grinding away at compiling webkitgtk-2.14.2
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 08:47:24
1 On Sunday 20 Nov 2016 09:48:07 John Covici wrote:
2 > On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 09:25:58 -0500,
3 >
4 > Harry Putnam wrote:
5 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
6 > > > IMO over-committing CPU isn't actually THAT bad. The CPU obviously
7 > > > gets divided n ways, but that's as far as it goes. There isn't that
8 > > > much overhead switching between VMs (though there certainly is some).
9 > >
10 > > [...]
11 > >
12 > > Thanks for the fuller picture and putting in the time to write it.
13 >
14 > On my i7 machine with 16g of ram, webkit-gtk has got to take 4/5 hours
15 > to compile. This is using an ssd.
16
17 That vindicates my choice of an NVMe SSD for this box, which is also an i7 but
18 with 32GB. Genlop shows it takes between 23 and 50 minutes here, depending on
19 what else I'm doing I suppose. What a difference a direct connection makes!
22 Regards
23 Peter