From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Microphone help
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:30:19
1 On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 06:24:44 -0400
2 Michael Pobega <pobega@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I bought a Creative NX Pro 2 webcam a few years back, and got it
4 > working with no problems in Gentoo using the gspcav1 drivers from
5 > Portage. Now, when I plug in the microphone (Which isn't a USB, but a
6 > regular microphone) nothing happens. I can't hear it through my
7 > speakers no matter how high I make the sound and I'm not sure if
8 > there are any drivers I need to load before it will work.
9 >
10 > Running `cat /proc/asound/cards` doesn't do much...It _should_ show my
11 > device, but in actuality shows:
12 >
13 > > ackbar linux # cat /proc/asound/cards
14 > > 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
15 > > HDA Intel at 0xfeb38000 irq 16
16 >
17 > So at the moment I'm pretty sure my microphone isn't being detected at
18 > all. Perhaps there is a kernel driver I missed (looked through two
19 > times) or something I need to emerge?
20 >
21 > If this driver is unusable in Gentoo, can someone recommend me a
22 > (relatively cheap) replacement? Because I'd like to be able to use it
23 > as soon as possible. Thank you.
24
25 Have you checked that the microphone is unmuted? Does your card have
26 multiple options for the microphone port (line-in as well as mic)?
27 Have you adjusted the microphone volume?
28
29 These are all issues I have had with the microphone on my webcam. The
30 drivers which matter are the soundcard drivers if you are plugging the
31 microphone into it, so I am 99.99% sure it will work with the current
32 setup, once you find the correct combination of settings for the
33 sound card.
34
35 Good luck with it,
36 Rob.