From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 21:11:05
1 [snip]
2 >> 1. fdisk won't let me specify a start block before 2048 even though I
3 >> deleted all partitions.
6 > That's normal. It's a long story, but Windows Vista and Windows 7 expects
7 > the first partition to start at sector 2048.
8 >
9 > You can force a lower number by toggling "DOS compatibility"; this should
10 > let you start the first partition as low as sector 63.
11 >
12 > HOWEVER, make sure that all partitions begin at multiples of 8 (e.g., 64,
13 > 72, 80, and so on); this will save you a lot of grief if it happens that the
14 > hard disk you're using has 4KiB-sectors.
15
16 I just looked up the start block for my other systems and they're all
17 on 63. Is performance impacted on all of these systems since they
18 aren't started on 64?
19
20 - Grant