From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Master list of all Overlays
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:38:04
1 On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:25:53 +0000 (UTC)
2 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello List,
5 >
6 > Does 'Layman -L' yield a comprehensive list or does
7 > it just poll from a subset of the different Overlay
8 > from a select number of sites?
9
10 layman -L lists all overlays the gentoo overlay infrastructure knows
11 about. Obviously it can't list overlays it has never been informed of.
12
13 Somewhere in the layman config there's an option to not list overlays a
14 machine can't use (eg git overlays where you don't have a git client),
15 I prefer to just leave it at the default and scan for red, green and
16 yellow asterisks when listing overlays
19 > Does such a list exist that references (most) all
20 > Overlay repositories and the Overlay ebuilds therein?
21 >
22 > Are there sites that are known not to trust?
23 >
24 > If 2 different repositories have different
25 > (hacked ebuild) then where do you get
26 > information as to which one you should use?
27 > Sure testing them both is warranted, but maybe
28 > there is a site where these Overlays are close
29 > to becoming stable enough for inclusion in portage,
30 > maybe a last stage clearing site or such?
31
32 No, such a thing would be impossible to maintains and subject to much
33 subjective whinging
34
35 > Do some sites have standards and other sites
36 > let anyone put up a development ebuild?
37
38 I suppose so, just as different developers have different standards and
39 different policies on what patches they will accept
40
41 > 'layman -S'
42 > Are the listings automatically refreshed or
43 > do you (should you) issue one master command to sync (update)
44 > all of the repositories or sync per each repository?
45
46 layman -S updates all of your local repositories at once
47
48 > Just looking for some feedback on these non
49 > official ebuilds, in a general sense. I have had
50 > very different experiences with Overlays and was
51 > wondering if I have missed some wisdom along the
52 > way..?
53
54 Like everything else in life, people are involved and you have to work
55 on reputation and decide what you like. Sort of like choosing wives -
56 you can get lots of recommendations out there, all meaningless :-)
57
58 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay#Listing_and_Adding_Overlays
59 > Best reference on the subject?
60
61 It's a simple enough topic. Last time I read that page it seemed to
62 cover all reasonable bases, as did the official gentoo doc
66 Alan McKinnnon
67 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com