From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync local mirror question
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:54:51
1 On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 03:06:19 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 11:07:14PM +0100, Michael wrote
3 >
4 > > sync-type = rsync
5 > > #sync-uri = rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
6 > > sync-uri = rsync://192.168.1.252/gentoo-portage
7 >
8 > Thanks Michael (and Adam). I did indeed forget to update sync-uri.
9 > I subscribe to Netflix, which requires Google-Chrome. It nags for
10 > security updates every few days, so I'll soon find out how well the
11 > corrected mirror setup works.
12 >
13 > Question: Can I leave "GENTOO_MIRRORS" uncommented in make.conf? The
14 > minimal change for my laptop would be...
15
16 Yes, you may leave your GENTOO_MIRRORS URIs as you have it, unless you don't
17 want to be downloading the same source files more than once for machines in
18 your LAN.
19
20 If downloading chrome source files many times a week separately for multiple
21 machines is no fun, you can set up a local http proxy caching server with its
22 webroot pointing to its distfiles directory. Then in your clients'
23 GENTOO_MIRRORS directive add as the first mirror your LAN Gentoo address/port.
24 The only drawback is you will have to sync and then emerge --fetchonly, or --
25 fetch-all-uri, on the local mirror before you start emerging the various
26 client PCs. A cron job can ensure this is all done by the time you're ready
27 to run sync & emerge on the rest of your clients.
28
29 You can use any number of available webservers with small footprint; e.g.
30 nginx, lighttpd, boa, etc. The http-replicator is no longer available.
33 > ...when at home on my LAN...
34 >
35 > #sync-uri = rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
36 > sync-uri = rsync://192.168.1.252/gentoo-portage
37 >
38 > ...when taking the laptop out of my apartment...
39 >
40 > sync-uri = rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
41 > #sync-uri = rsync://192.168.1.252/gentoo-portage
42
43 I don't know if you can set more than one sync server, so if the first is not
44 available it will try the next and so on. When the sync URI was defined in
45 make.conf this was the case. I suppose you can try it. If it works it'll
46 save you having to manually edit the file each time you move your laptop away
47 from your LAN.