From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:16:33
1 On 30 January 2012 13:09, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz> wrote:
2 >> Technically, they did, it was just impossible for an OS to make it
3 >> actually work:
4 >>
5 >> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2009/04/02/9528175.aspx
6
7 From the comments:
8 Barry Kelly: "Win95 Setup *does* make the floppy drive grind, though,
9 as have all versions of Windows Setup from 95 through to XP. (Speaking
10 as an ex hardware technician who installed Windows hundreds of times.)
11
12 Specifically, it makes the grinding noise when it's setting up the
13 Start Menu items for the first time (it says). I personally suspect
14 it's because it's creating the "Send To" shortcut, but that's only my
15 suspicion."
18 Honestly, given that it's a single bit check per hardware change, it
19 doesn't seem like all that challenging of a feature. We could have had
20 autorun.inf viruses almost 5 years earlier!