From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:34:16
1 On 28 August 2020 21:27:52 CEST, antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >On 26/08/2020 21:21, Grant Taylor wrote:
3 >>> so basically total expected number of protocols/layers used in the
4 >>> universe, per second, will be much less if we, on planet earth, use
5 >a
6 >>> mail system that uses HTTP* instead of RESXCH_*.
7 >>
8 >> I obviously disagree.
9 >
10 >Exactly. You now need a protocol/layer that says you're running "mail
11 >over http" as opposed to "web". HTTP is tcp/80 that *means* web. As
12 >soon
13 >as you start using it for something (anything) else you've just added
14 >another protocol/layer.
15 >
16 >I get the distinct impression that Grant doesn't actually understand
17 >what TCP is ... (hint - it has port numbers that are meant (if they're
18 >not abused) to indicate what is going over the connection, like SMTP,
19 >or
20 >HTTP, or POP, or IMAP, etc etc).
21 >
22 >Cheers,
23 >Wol
24
25 I think you meant that Caveman doesn't understand what TCP (and UDP) actually is.
26
27 Grant does seem to know what he is talking about.
30 Joost
31 --
32 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.