From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] How to prevent a dns amplification attack
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:44:28
1 Am 30.03.2013 16:11, schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
2 > On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 13:06:16 +0100
3 > Norman Rieß <norman@×××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> As we all know everything works better and cheaper when things are
6 >> privatized
7 >
8 > Actually No it's not so simple at all.
9 >
10 > You get incompetence in private and public and you may be more likely
11 > to get away with it for longer in a public service than in a market with
12 > competition but there are many examples where things simply get worse.
13 >
14 > In the UK, water companies were privatisied and fat cats made lots of
15 > money letting the pipes deteriorate for future generations.
16 >
17 > British Telecom, well that's a mixed bag but it is certainly a
18 > tiny shadow of it's original self.
19 >
20 > We know ideals and theory hardly ever work but theoretically public
21 > should be much better when well managed.
22 >
23 > I wonder if ISPS wouldn't be handling things like TalkTalks
24 > Homesafe in such a stupid manner (across the board is where it is
25 > stupid, even for non users of the service) where they redirect all the
26 > http traffic through an undoubtedly insecure layer 7 handling huawei
27 > device with less commercial pressures or analysing bandwidth at layer
28 > 7 when they should be doing so more safely and completely at layers 3
29 > and 4 leading me to believe they are not just thinking about bandwidth
30 > usage. Why does it matter if you download 1000Gb via torrents or http.
31 > ACKs can be managed in any case.
32 >
33 > I'm glad open source is beginning to make strides into public services
34 > as it should help put an end to expensive interoperability issues (if
35 > we stay away from non posix things like systemd, though even then
36 > shouldn't be too bad ;-)).