From: Miles Malone <m.malone@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kicad and complications from hdf5 and vtk USE flags. Not package specific tho.
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 06:35:39
1 Well I just installed kicad-meta (6.0.1), and neither vtk nor hdf5 are
2 pulled into the dep tree as a result... Given opencascade[vtk] is
3 what's pulling in vtk in your emerge above, disabling the vtk
4 useflag's probably going to help.
5
6 In addition, I cant imagine why in a million years MPI should be
7 getting pulled in unless you've explicitly enabled it somewhere else,
8 MPI's hardly something you'd be using if you werent USING, i.e. on a
9 distributed memory system. Looking at the dependency tree, the most
10 likely place for an MPI use flag to be causing all kinds of mpi
11 related shenanigans with other packages is Boost. If you've enabled
12 MPI for Boost without actually needing it, that'll cause all kinds of
13 tree problems. In my experience if you're using MPI you need to be
14 really really careful about enabling it globally, it's incredibly hard
15 for the devs to test given test systems are rarely clusters, so it's
16 often got significant breakage. Of course if you're developing for a
17 cluster, which I do from time to time, this can be a pain.
18
19 So assuming you've got *absolutely no libraries* in your world file
20 (there really shouldnt be), make sure you've got mpi and vtk disabled
21 globally, and not per-package enabled for boost and opencascade. Get
22 rid of vtk and hdf5, and try again? (Assuming you dont need hdf5 for
23 something other than kicad that is, of course. It's the main format I
24 use for data storage as it plays nicely with Matlab and okay with c++
25 and python)
26
27 That's my best guess as to what's causing your blockers, anyways.
28 Give it a go and see where the error moves to
29