From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:22:46
1 "Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Oh, and according to this benchmark
4 > http://linuxgazette.net/122/piszcz.html
5 > reiserfs does not deserve its speed fame.
6
7 The ext filesystem is slow if you meter the right times.
8
9 If you e.g. untar a linux kernel tarball and just take the time
10 GNU tar runs, you have a time but you don't know the related action!
11
12 If you do this, disk I/O (with a few exceptions) will typically start
13 after GNU tar exited.
14
15 If you like to compare, you could either use star (that by default calls
16 fsync(2) on avery single file after extracting) or pull the power cord
17 after GNU tar finished and then check after a reboot ;-) On a ext filesystem,
18 star extracts 4x slower in default mode compared to star -no-fsync
19
20 I have no times for reiserfs, but it may be that the numbers look completely
21 different if you get a time for a known action.
22
23 Jörg
26 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
27 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)