From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:01:09
1 Our cable internet service goes out frequently (and probably even more
2 frequently now that winter has come to OKlahoma.) When it goes out,
3 pretty much everything on my Gentoo system slows down. It's gotten to
4 where just to get an application (like gnumeric) to open I have to su -
5 to root and shut down /etc/init.d/net.eth0 until the Internet comes back
6 on. This morning the internet was out and I'd shut down net.eth0 and
7 then tried to run monodevelop and it refused to start giving me some
8 message about my PC's hostname not being set correctly in /etc/hosts. I
9 checked it and /etc/hosts was correct. Must just be a glitch with
10 monodevelop. My question is what is it about Gentoo that relies so
11 heavily on connecting to the internet? My network was running just fine
12 - just the connection between the cable modem and the internet was down,
13 but everything inside my router should have been fine...
16 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list