From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: thunderbird "fixed" folders? [SOLVED]
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:20:43
1 On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 01:16:27PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:34 on Monday 06 June 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:27:48AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > > Believe it or not you are supposed to "make invisible" all the junk the
7 > > > app created.
8 > >
9 > > Well, once you get some of the amazingly bone-headed defaults corrected
10 > > tbird is pretty nice -- for people with eagle eyes who don't need an
11 > > integrated addressbook function, which describes no-one I know....
12 > >
13 > > After much googling the conclusion is many many people are desperately
14 > > unhappy about the fonts in tbrd and incredibly, it ain't fixable!
15 > > Hard-coded font sizes -- isn't that, like, retardn00b mistake #4?
16 > >
17 > > :)
18 >
19 > No, no, no! Surely you jest?
20 >
21 > tbird is a Moz product. Rendering stuff on screen is almost everything that
22 > they do ... everything else supporting just that one thing
25 Yes, well isn't their cluelessness regarding defaults kind of legendary?
26 I can't use firefox at all without pentadactyl installed.
27
28 > > Another giant, glaring flaw: Doesn't appear to be any addressbook
29 > > integration whatsoever that I can find, so it's necessary to pretend
30 > > it's the 80s and remember the ancient practice of clunkily, manually
31 > > C & P from the *separate* addressbook. Jeeeezus, and people think mutt
32 > > is barebones, LOL (address autocompletion Just Works in mutt).
33 > >
34 > > I've already got a whopper of an eyestrain headache just from
35 > > testing it.
36 > >
37 > > Tbird dismissed, not a realistic option.
38 > > My users will bitch a blue streak over the lack of address autocomplete,
39 > > god forbid they should have to type anything longer than "OMGLOL"...
40 >
41 > I kinda liked claws last time I tried it (earlier this year). Much like KMail
42 > of old it just does mail and does it well.
43 >
44 > I found I couldn't use it though - I rely on the KDE addressbook a lot (it's
45 > hooked into the GAL) and claws tended to get *really* upset everytime Exchange
46 > pulled it's usual stunt of popping out for 20 minutes coffee breaks 4 times a
47 > day.
48 >
49 > That's not claws' fault - I squarely blame Exchange for
50 >
51 > a) Advertising it does IMAP but doesn't really pay attention to standards
52 > b) Saying the service is up when it isn't really
53 >
54 > KMail OTOH, just sits in the corner and quietly sulks when Exchange goes away;
55 > then tries again in 15 minutes. Which suits me just fine. The requirement for
56 > kdelibs doesn't bother me - this is a KDE machine
59 Thanks for that info, fortunately no exchange integration is required here.
60 Claws is the next victim, in fact I've just emerged it.
61 But now I need a break til the aspirin kicks in.
62 Damn tbird...
65 klaatu virada nicto