From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] S.O.P.A and P.I.P.A and the blackout.
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:57:16
1 I am truly surprised that Gentoo, and more GNU/Linux and *BSD sites did not
2 join in the 'blackout'. The only one I saw that did was opensuse.org .
3
4 These laws, as I understand them, and I am no lawyer, could be used against
5 open source kernels, operating system tools, and other open source applications
6 by companies that would benefit by eliminating competition or potential
7 competition.
8
9 The definition of infringement is so broad, and the blocking is required with
10 just a single complaint - it could really be used to wreak havoc on the
11 Internet, in general, and by the big players to eliminate the smaller
12 competition. Lame alone could shut down just about every distribution and
13 their mirrors since the mp3 encoder algorithms are patented and cross-patented
14 in so many ways that just the distribution of the source code could result in a
15 complaint and many blocks.
16
17 Chris
20 ---
21 avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
22 Virus Database (VPS): 120118-1, 01/18/2012
23 Tested on: 1/18/2012 6:55:49 PM
24 avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2012 AVAST Software.