From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] new linux router
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:11:08
1 Hello,
2
3 It's time to build a new router. Surely, I would just like to
4 purchase hardware and run a minimized or embedded gentoo on it
5 along with iptables and a few other packages. But, I got to reading
6 and well it seems much has changed. Dansguardian is deprecated?
7 If I add protection above layer 3, what is the best route (pun intended)
8 to protect some winblows systems? And I need the ability to dynamically
9 block some gaming sites (kids playing too many hours of video).....
10
11 Then I read about NFtables....... [1]
12 And there is more. So, being a bit busy what would folks recommend
13 for purchase (I really do not need another project at this time)?
14 I've used routers with ebtables in the past too.
17 I'd like to be able to download some open source linux to the router
18 hardware if updates and pathces are not maintained by the vendor?
19 That way I do not purchase something that is to be abandoned in
20 a few years by the vendor.
21
22 It's just a small home/office so 3x100Mb E would be fine, but GigE
23 ports would be better. I'm flexible on the CPU/arch of the hardware,
24 so all discussion and suggestions are welcome. In an idealized world
25 I'd pay extra for a gentoo_derivative based router; but all I find
26 is the WRT, devil_linux and such, nothing really cool and interesting.
27
28 Anyone used lilblue or pentoo as the basis for a firewalled_router?
29
30 A purchase is what I really want, but some hacking, if absolutely
31 necessary, would be ok too. Ideas?
32
33 curiously,
34 James