From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage metadata cache backend: sqlite or not?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 02:10:00
1 On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi list
3 >
4 > For the longest time I've had portage configured to use the sqlite metadata
5 > cache backend as per an old HOWTO [0], however, I thought that it would be a
6 > good idea to revisit that decision.
7 >
8 > Now apparently, this was supposed to speed up portage, although even that
9 > depends. For instance, [0] says that the metadata_overlay backend is faster on
10 > fast storage; since all of portage is on an SSD, that ought to be the case for
11 > me. However, [0] is pretty outdated, so I don't really know, and don't have any
12 > comparison.
13 >
14 > In addition to that, I don't explicitly make use of the sqlite metadata cache,
15 > that is, I don't (consciously) use any software that accesses those DBs, except
16 > for eix (except for overlays, where one would need to run "emerge --regen"
17 > first, which is *ssssslllllloooowwwww*), which can make use of them if
18 > CACHE_METHOD is set appropriately; this speeds up eix-update considerably.
19 >
20 > Does anybody here have experience with this, or a recommendation? I tried
21 > switching to the default cache method temporarily to see how things perform,
22 > and "emerge @world -uDNva" slowed down by about 30 seconds, so preliminary
23 > results point to sticking with sqlite (although it could at least partly be a
24 > btrfs performance regression in Linux 3.15, since there have been several reports of
25 > those, and several fixes slated for 3.16). Anyway, I'm also unsure of unintended
26 > consequences, or other settings I might have to change, too.
27 >
28 > Also, does anybody have any performance data and/or experience on using btrfs
29 > with compression in this context?
30 >
31 > [0] http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_speed_up_portage_with_sqlite
32 >
33 > Greetings,
34 > --
35 > Marc Joliet
36 > --
37 > "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
38 > don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup
39
40 Having tried this feature, I'd advise against it. It takes long time
41 to generate metadata after sync and not really that advantageous. Also
42 eix has it's own issues in this mode.