From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal web server
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 04:34:47
1 On 5 May 2012, at 03:39, James wrote:
2 > …
3 > #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
4 >
5 > …
6 > The I could just issue this command?
7
8 The question mark terminating this statement seems dubious.
9
10 This appears to be a feature of Cisco routers.
11
12 http://stack.nil.com/C1256F0A00429755/html/webupload/
13
14 > copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>
15 >
16 > It should work and it's simple. What would be
17 > some recommendations as to which minimal web server
18 > I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
19 > just backup various router configs to?
20
21 www-servers/lighttpd is famously small and on my system all its dependencies are already installed. It has a USE=minimal flag you might also try, for fewer calories.
22
23 As a matter of practice I would not leave any webserver running on my laptop, or even installed, for longer than necessary. I would prefer to have a home or office webserver to which I could transfer these files and from which the router can obtain them. Rationally, I have no idea why I imagine one site to be more secure than the other.
24
25 Consider this installation-free alternative:
26 http://www.google.co.uk/searchq=one+line+python+web+server
27
28 Stroller.