From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Pro and Contra ?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:04:07
1 Meino Christian Cramer schrieb:
2 > From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
3
4 >> On a home system I'd be tempted to have one big partition where LVM
5 >> would buy you nothing.
6 >>
7 >> Pros: However at work I run a number of dev boxes. You can tell a
8 >> programmer many things, but you can't tell him where to put his files.
9 >> Using LVM I allocated 40GB of an 80GB drive and now can grow /var /tmp
10 >> /opt and /home as needed. I run the whole thing on top of a software
11 >> RAID 1.
12 >>
13 >> Cons: I briefly blew up LVM by not rebuilding lvm after device-mapper
14 >> changed... or it might have been the other way around. Had to chroot,
15 >> figure out how to mount LVM, and then rebuild a few packages. Took maybe
16 >> 60 minutes or so since I had to manually setup the RAID 1 first.
17 >> I guess the con is more stuff to remember to build into your kernel and
18 >> watch for updates on.
19 >>
20 >> kashani
21 >> --
22 >> gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
25 > Thanks a lot for your reply, kashani ! :)
26 >
27 > Hrrrmmm...I am not a native English speaker...I am not whether I
28 > understood your first sentence correctly...
29 >
30 > Did you mean: On a home system it is no advantage to use LVM
31
32 Yes, because he'd give the (IMO *extremely* *bad*) advice to use
33 just one huge filesystem for everything.
34
35 I very much disagree with that. IMO, even on home systems it makes
36 a lot of sense to use multiple file systems.
37
38 > What's about fragmentation of data, when using LVM ?
39
40 It doesn't have anything to do with LVM.
41
42 You're mentioning a "problem" of LVM: With LVM, the Logical Volumes,
43 and thus the filesystems on top of those LVs can be fragmented (and
44 very often will be). This happens, when a LV will be resized. Reason:
45 Suppose two LVs are created. Those 2 LVs are adjacent. Then the 1st
46 LV (at the beginning of the VG) is to be extended (made bigger). This
47 will cause the first part of the 1st LV to be in front of the 2nd
48 LV and the 2nd part of the 1st LV will be after the 2nd LV.
49
50 Alexander Skwar
51 --
52 Never commit yourself! Let someone else commit you.
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list