From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] wicd and net-tools
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 22:59:20
1 In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
2
3 The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
4 for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
5
6 Neither of these have helped me. Wicd cannot start either the
7 wired or wireless interface.
8
9 When I type
10 killall dhcpd; dhcpd
11
12 Both networks come up but the wireless gets many errors (as reported
13 by ifconfig). Also sometimes the network goes down again.
14
15 Two days ago both networks were solid.
16
17 Another machine that I was in the process of bringing up (gentoo fully
18 installed from the handbook, but many utilities not yet done) also fails
19 under wicd today (worked fine two days ago). For this machine
20 killall dhcp; dhcp
21 reports that "no interfaces have a carrier"
22 The machine is 10 feet from the router/wap (linksys) and again
23 all was well 2 days ago.
24
25 Help would be very much appreciated.
26
27 thanks,
28 allan
29
30 PS I couldn't connect yesterday and today, the new gnome (3.2) hit
31 testing. Since I don't want to bite that big, potentially disruptive
32 update with this network problem (the overlay version failed for me), I
33 have not done an update world for 2 or 3 days.