From: Eray Aslan <eray.aslan@×××××××.tr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Out of portage
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:13:28
1 Renat Golubchyk <mailto:ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > If postfix becomes a dependency of another package in the
4 > future it will
5 > get updated by portage regardless of it being in the world-file.
6
7 Possible but unlikely. It is a stable mail server. I doubt we will add or remove any software in the near future.
8
9 > Abetter way would be to install it by hand in /usr/local which is
10 > reserved for user-managed programs. But you _will_ have to keep an eye
11 > on all the required libraries. If they get updated by portage it could
12 > break your local install of postfix unless you compile it statically.
13
14 Thank you for the info.
15
16 > Another option would be to mask every version of postfix except of
17 > yours in package.mask. If you have to modify the ebuild copy
18 > it to your
19 > portage overlay and install it from there.
20 >
21 > Anyway, why do you want to manage those programs yourself?
24 Because of this patch for postfix:
25 http://sbserv.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/postfix/duchovni/multi_instance.gz
26
27 It makes managing / upgrading postfix with multi instances easier. But it seems sticking with portage and managing the (infrequent) upgrades by hand for the second instance of postfix is less work than messing with ebuilds.
28
29 Thanks again.
30 Eray
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list