From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend to RAM problem
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:51:03
1 On Saturday 30 September 2006 08:19, PaulNM wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > Whenever I suspend my Evo N600c to RAM, it goes to sleep fine, but when I
6 > > press the power button to resume the laptop wakes up, but the screen
7 > > remains blank. Then all I can do is hold down the On/Off button for >5
8 > > seconds to force a shutdown.
9 > >
10 > > dmesg is telling me that ACPI support the following states:
11 > > ===============================
12 > > ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S3 S4 S5)
13 > > ===============================
14 > >
15 > > Would you know of a fix? Is this a BIOS problem?
16 >
17 > I know very little about suspend-to-ram, but a possibility is maybe
18 > there's something with X. Can you get to another tty (Ctrl-Alt-F2)? It
19 > may also be something like xscreensaver set to a screensaver that
20 > doesn't run well.
21
22 I suspect it is related to the framebuffer. I have killed X and tried it from
23 the console, but it still crashed when it resumed. So killing X, framebuffer
24 and whatever else it chokes on I think would not be very practical, unless
25 there's a fix/script that works for this?
26
27 > > PS. What's the difference between Standby and Suspend to RAM?
28 >
29 > Standby just turns off the screen and spins down the disks. It may or
30 > may not turn off some hardware like the net card. Ram is still powered
31 > and the machine is still on. Suspend to RAM as I understand it is much
32 > deeper, ram and cpu are just about all that is powered up.
33
34 Thanks. Which function would you associate with the lid switch - not that it
35 matters with this laptop. When I try to put it into standby it stops the
36 disk alright, but the screen turns really bright within a secodn or so (I
37 fear it may burn out if I leave it for any length of time). I tried to use
38 radeontool light off, but it doesn't seem to work (the screen turns on again
39 when in standby).
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick