From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI - 2.6.38 desktop responsiveness patch + how to do it now
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:36:16
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 17:18 on Friday 19 November 2010, Nikos
2 Chantziaras did opine thusly:
3
4 > On 11/19/2010 04:37 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
5 > > 2.6.38 should contain a ~200 line patch that makes a huge difference to
6 > > desktop responsiveness under load;
7 > > "Tests done by Mike show the maximum latency dropping by over ten times
8 > > and the average latency of the desktop by about 60 times"
9 > > Ref:
10 > > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1
11 > > <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num
12 > > =1>
13 > >
14 > > And a RedHat dev reckons you can get the same via configuration;
15 > > Ref:
16 > > http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternative-to-200-lines-kernel-patch.html
17 > >
18 > > I havent tried it yet...
19 >
20 > Doesn't this patch group tasks by TTY?
21
22 As I understand it, the kernel patch does group by TTY. Personally I think
23 that's just one way of doing it and there could be others. So it's more proof-
24 of-concept than TheOneTrueWay(tm)
25
26 The config and bash commands method from RedHat does things slightly
27 differently. Prevailing opinion on /. is that the patch method is cleaner but
28 more restrictive, which the userspace method is more configurable but requires
29 root.
30
31 Perhaps distros will pick up on this and offer other criteria, maybe something
32 like a profile selectable at boot-time or maybe even runtime.
33
34 What *I* would like to see is flash goes into it's own group and gets
35 throttled. Everything else running under KDE is in a different group and left
36 to run full speed
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com