From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:19:25
1 Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
4 >> -----Original Message-----
5 >> From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk]
6 >> Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:57 AM
7 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
9 >>
10 >> On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:46:18 -0400, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
11 >>
12 >>> I was hoping to
13 >>> rescue the additional time for the snort install etc by being able
15 >>> just recompile stuff rather than have to start over from the
16 > beginning,
17 >>> the system is currently running, so I may just end up putting off
18 > the
19 >>> rebuild till this summer when I have a bit more time -- I was hoping
21 >>> be able to change the use flags, build a new kernel and be done with
22 > it,
23 >>> but that doesn't look to be the case
24 >> It should be the case. it's not much different from doing a stage 3
25 >> install then changing USE flags etc. I've done that with no problems.
26 >> What went wrong when you tried this before, or was it a case of
27 > changing
28 >> too much at once so you couldn't find the source of the problem?
29 >>
30 >> However, Michael's point about starting afresh with a hardened setup
31 > is a
32 >> good one. It sounds much safer for a security box.
35 >> --
36 >> Neil Bothwick
37 >>
38 >> "getting performance from an Amiga is like getting water from a
39 > sponge,
40 >> getting performance from Windows is like getting blood from a stone -
41 >> after banging my head against the stone several times I got some
42 > blood"
43 >> Author of Lightwave 3D
44 > [Timothy A. Holmes]
45 >
46 > Neil:
47 >
48 > the problem before was an incomplete understanding of how the USE Flags
49 > worked, and a mis-understanding of some advice that I was given. The
50 > procedure that I used last time was:
51 >
52 > rebuild the kernel
53 > Set use to USE="-*"
54 > Emerge -e world
55 >
56 > That procedure with the USE flags is what killed me. What I should have
57 > done -- it now appears was to set use to blank (or comment it out) and
58 > allow it to use the base flags from the profile. But trying to
59 > recompile from base with all use flags specifically excluded is what
60 > began to break stuff
61 >
62 > TIM
66 > Timothy A. Holmes
67 > IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
68 >
69 > Medina Christian Academy
70 > A Higher Standard...
71 >
72 > Jeremiah 33:3
73 > Jeremiah 29:11
74 > Esther 4:14
77 Hi,
78 Don't just wipe out all USE-flags IIRC you'll need "readline ncurses..."
79 Search mail-list archives for "minimal USE flags", a year or more ago
80 (mail was from ciaranm IIRC).
81 HTH.Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature