From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 2006.1 liveCD
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:45:04
1 Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > > Releases are not very important for Gentoo, if you have a live
5 > > > internet connection (which is not REQUIRED, but will make your system
6 > > > a lot more useful with Gentoo) after the whole process you'll get the
7 > > > latest Gentoo anyway.
8
9 > > I think the idea is to skip the five hour gcc/glibc update by starting
10 > > from newer binaries in a hypothetical 2006.1 stage3.
11
12 > But you gotta wait months for new releases, while (like you said) it
13 > only take a few hours to update (if you WANNA update, because I still
14 > use gcc 3.4.6). And it can be done in the background, while you use
15 > the system anyway.
19 I started my post with
20 "Since I've got to install a web server on an older machine (PIII)"
21
22 I managing 8 gentoo systems already. It's a new install. I can wait a few
23 days to test out the new 2006.1 installation media & methods......
24 Or maybe find the location of an x86 image in testing. My experiences
25 with 2006.0 were less than spectacular, although things worked in the
26 end, a lot of manual hacking was required to complete the installation
27 process.
28
29 I was just looking for a little 'insider info' not a thesis
30 on Linux installations....
31
32 And YES installation media is very important for Gentoo, to attract
33 new members to the Gentoo community.... and to simplify the life
34 of those admins that are managing many systems and
35 performing new installation.
38 ymmv,
39
40 James