From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up SMTP relay
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 06:48:36
1 On Wednesday 26 January 2011 04:04:16 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:34:11PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote
3 >
4 > > This is working fine. But there are other PCs in the LAN, which I
5 > > would also like to get status emails from. Being not the only one
6 > > with root access there, I do not want to duplicate the ssmtp setup
7 > > because of the password stored in ssmtp.conf.
8 >
9 > ??? What password in ssmtp.conf ??? My /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf has 4
10 > uncommented lines. They are...
11 >
12 > The "root=" entry
13 > The "mailhub=" entry
14 > The "hostname=" entry
15 > FromLineOverride=YES
16 >
17 > That's it. What setup are you using that requires a password in
18 > ssmtp.conf?
19
20 If you set it up to email you stuff using e.g. your email account, you would
21 also need authentication credentials:
22
23 AuthUser=waltdnes@××××××××.org
24 AuthPass=walters_secret_passwd
25
26 and to stop sending such info in the clear you would also use something like:
27
28 UseSTARTTLS=YES
29
30 or