From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Succinct compilation of system info...
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:48:06
1 Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net> writes:
2
3 > It was never hidden and has always been available.
4
5 Not sure I understand that comment. Or rather I am sure I do not.
6
7 > The commands, excepting lshw, have been
8 > available since the 1970s. And lots of system inventory scripts are
9 > in existance. Many written obscurely in Perl and other languages.
10
11 Thanks for the handy list. I know all those tools of course but
12 assumed someone would have had enough time during those 35 yrs to have
13 assembled a nifty script that I could just edit for my own needs.
14
15 I've never subscribed to the fool notion that I must do it myself from
16 the ground up, mainly so that I could smugly stroke my grey guru
17 beard. I'd happily save a good bit of time instead.
18
19 I'm sure many such scripts have been written in the past 35yrs. I
20 hoped a few would have become famous and available by name that I
21 could simply edit.
22
23 You mentioned possibly obscure system inventory scripts in perl.
24 So apparently you already know it can be a time consuming undertaking
25 to dig one up with google, test it, etc etc.
26
27 Do you know of one off the top of your head? Hopefully not too
28 obscure.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list