From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] How to copy text from hex editor
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:45:25
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [10-11-28 10:32]:
2 > This may be simple, but I don't know how to do it:
3 >
4 > I have opened a file I captured with tcpflow using hexdump and also tried
5 > okteta. With either applications I can select the plain text, but
6 > corresponding hexadecimal characters are also selected at the same time.
7 >
8 > Is there a way of copying and pasting the plain text portion of the file
9 > content only, or are there some clever incantations that hexdump will take to
10 > only show the plain text portion of the file?
11 > --
12 > Regards,
13 > Mick
14
15 Hi Mick,
16
17 suppose you have a file containing everything of the capture....
18
19 You can cut off everything you dont want with the tool "cut" (-> man
20 cut) or the parts you want.
21
22 Another way is to read everything with the ascii editor "vim" and
23 use the visual mode for what cut was used in the previous example.
24
25 Sorry for not giving examples...I dont know the exact format of the
26 capture you are talking about...
27
28 HTH
29