From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] imagemagick display image edit tool draws an opaque background
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 07:05:18
1 On 2020-08-31 23:52, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 10:02:34PM +0200, n952162 wrote:
3 >> In all of the imagemagick display installations I have, when I use the
4 >> image edit draw function, it includes an opaque background, rather than
5 >> just the lines themselves.  I've never had this with display(1) before,
6 > First you use draw, which is used in convert, and then you speak of display.
9 Please see the attached menu capture for "Image Edit ..."
13 > The latter is there to – well – display an image. My understanding of IM
14 > mechanics is basic, but just this evening I was working on a small IM-based
15 > script of my own.
18 If you left-click on the window, you get a menu that allows the full
19 range of editing capabilities.
24 > Drawing is done on a canvas. So unless you start with an existing image file
25 > as a basis, IM needs to pick a default background colour, which in your case
26 > seems to be black.
29 Yes, the problem is, I AM using an existing image.  Usually, with IM's
30 display(1), I could add lines and text to images but now, all of a
31 sudden, it uses a bounding box around the new strokes, choosing a single
32 random color from the background.
35 There's lots of USE flags associated with Image Magick, most of which I
36 have no clue about.  Perhaps I need some transparency support or something.
40 >> and can find nothing in the internet about it.
41 > Have you tried the IM website?
42 > https://imagemagick.org/Usage/draw/
43 > https://imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php#background

im-display-eg-200826.png image/png